Sunday, February 5, 2012

Mountain Bike Racer or Survivor?

WHAT WAS I THINKING?

In a life defining moment, I decided I would race all of the local CCCX-MTB XC races this year.  My thoughts were on doing something I had never imagined I could do in the hopes of pure survival.  I had been riding mountain bike approximately once a week for about nine months.  My longest ride was around ten or eleven miles.  The first race was a five mile loop that beginners (that would be me) must loop three times through.  As a Math geek, I knew this meant fifteen miles total.  As a fairly new member of the local mountain bike club, I told no one (OK, my husband knew) what I was up to.  I was in total stealth mode - or maybe I was giving myself an out if I turned chicken.  Reguardless of my reasons, I geared up on February 4th, 2012, and loaded up my bike. 

I am doing this. . .I am doing this. . .I am doing this
Paperwork done, I walked my bike to the start line.  The nerves kicked in and I really began to question myself.  What was I thinking?  This is really gonna hurt. 

Those girls look like pros, not beginners!  I'm doomed!
Lap 1:   The race started out on a road for about a 1/4 mile and turned into a single track straight up a hill.  I started out in back and held that position for a looooong time.  By the time I finished walking up that first hill, there was only one rider in sight and she was walking that same hill with me.

Lap 1
When I finally made my first lap through the counting corral, not another racer was in sight.  I was tired already and thinking about calling it quits, when I heard the stunned voices of those that knew me as they realized I was racing.  They all managed to recover their shock quickly enough to encourage me and at that point, I knew I was in it for the long haul.  I could hardly quit now that our biking friends knew I was racing.  In the words of my eldest daughter, "le sigh."

Dropping into a tight turn (if you're a beginner)

Lap 2:  This is the lap of discovery.  Not ALL beginner bikers are slow like me.  As I worked my way around that loop, I was passed by so many people that I started getting off my bike and walking as soon as I heard them approaching me from behind.  It's a bit unnerving to know someone is gonna pass on a narrow trail and I'm supposed to hold my position without crashing in the hopes I don't get smunched into.  Ugh!  Even the women I started with were passing me.  Stress, stress, stress.

Me about to be passed by someone.
Lap 3:  As I looped through the counting corral, again, I really wanted to stop.  I was completely exhausted.  With a big sigh, I began my third lap.  My most positive thought at this point was that I now had the whole trail to myself.  Everyone else was finishing as I headed around that last loop.  SURPRISE!  As I was pushing up a hill with a blind right turn, two teenage boys came ripping down that hill straight at me.  YEP, I totally screamed like a girl.  One guy went right, the other went left, and I went DOWN!  HARD!  I was so angry, I couldn't even speak.  Body check:  all parts were still moving, but my hip and left knee hurt like hell.  Both boys asked me if I was OK and I told them I was (pride showeth after the fall).  They wouldn't leave until I got up, so I finally had to admit I couldn't figure out how to unclip my shoes to untangle myself from my bike.  After they assisted me in getting off the ground, they apologized profusely and I got back on my bike to complete my final lap with blood running down my left leg.  My thought at this point:  I was gonna look cool coming in to the finish with a bloody leg.

At the podium.
The Finish Line:  2 hours, 5 minutes and 40 seconds after my start I crossed the finish line.  As the announcer shouts to the crowd that the last rider is in (humiliating much), everyone cheered me as I rolled through.  I should have been tired, but I was elated.  The adrenaline rush from crashing helped push me through to the end and I was thrilled.  My longest mountain bike ride EVER!  I was a little embarrassed to receive a medal as there were only 5 riders in my age group, but later I found out there were DNFs (did not finish) - turns out that girl I walked the first hill with didn't finish the race.  Truth be told, if it weren't for all my biking pals cheering me on, I would have quit too.  I'm just really glad I didn't.  My only goal this day was to finish the race - goal accomplished!  Next race, I will try to finish a little faster (side note:  I held the next race up by 30 minutes since I hadn't returned within 2 hours - oops). 
Me, my bike, my medal and my bloody knee (tidied up).
IT WAS A GOOD DAY FOR NEW BEGINNINGS!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment