Saturday, June 16, 2012

Hole in the Ground Trail

Is It Or Isn't It



Early Morning Warm-up Ride

 Up at 5:00a and hit the trail by 7:00a.  My hubby and I were going to hit "Hole in the Ground" trail.  He was psyched, but I had reservations.  After all, if you google this trail you find that some say it is intermediate, some say its hard and others say if you take the first 800ft climb slowly the trail is doable for beginners.


We spent at least an hour trying to find the trail head.  Google this and you also get several sets of different directions.  We finally decide we have found the right spot.  Bikes removed from the car and off we go.



The trail is a bit more technical than anything I have ever done.  Rocks and boulders are completely part of this heavily wooded trail.  To make matters worse, I am being eaten alive by mosquitos.  Haven't seen these since I lived in Minnesota, ARGH!


Fire Road to Nowhere

We pop out from a relatively short trail onto a fire road.  Hmmm.  No more trail.  It must be further along this road.  We ride down hill (I'm pretty sure the directions we were given said it was up hill at first but who am I to tell my hubby something might be wrong) on this gravelly road until we hit a river crossing. 


River Crossing

Closer inspection of this river tells me that there is no way I am crossing.  Deep, Icy, and Rocky are just a few words that come to mind.  Darius decides this isn't the right trail head and we climb back out to our car.  I am now calling this our mosquite infested morning warm up. 


BTW we found out later that Hole in the Ground Trail is closed right now and never got a chance to check it out.  DARN!  I was soooo looking forward to an overly technical trail to start my travels to exciting bike destinations, NOT! 


Onwards to a bike shop to get a MAP!  

No comments:

Post a Comment