Saturday, June 16, 2012

Sawtooth Trail

Too Busy to Notice any Exposure


After getting a map from a local bike shop, it is onward to a recommended trail called "Sawtooth" Trail.  It is about 9:00a and we set out to find the trail head.  I am beginning to think that the trails in Truckee are all a big secret because the map we purchased has road names that do not match the ones on the street.  I pull out my iPhone and map the area.  By looking at our bike trail map and my phone map, I can now give directions to the trail head.  Could things be more complicated?


Trail Head Map

 

At the trail head we see a group of five guys and another separate guy getting ready to hit the trails.  Turns out there is a race here, next week, and everyone wants to preride this trail.  Thinking in terms of Fort Ord's CCCX-MTB XC race, I'm pretty psyched to get going.  According to the trailhead map (we soooo need these at Ft. Ord), the first 2/3 of the loop is beginner level and the last third is intermediate.  Awesome!  I can do this.



Typical Obstacle in this Trail

 

As we head out after all the guys, I begin to realize that beginner in Truckee is a whole lot different than beginner in Monterey.  This trail is infested with rocks and boulders and mini drops.  I am so tense at first, my wrists are getting sore (not no mention other parts) and I'm being bounced all over the place.

 

 

We finally stop after the first mile at a scenic overview.  The hubby does a death-defying pose for my camera while I just calmly sit on the rocks (a bit further in from the cliff) for my pic.  We discuss my anxiety on riding this rocky terrain.  After a few tips and a small adjustment to my forks for a quicker recall (is that the right terminology?) and we are off again.


Beautiful Trail


BIG difference with the new fork adjustment.  Now that I'm not being jousted quite so much, I'm starting to get the hang of this.  AMAZED at what my bike rolls through when I get some speed.  I'm really digging this trail.  About half way through, we stop for a break and eat an orange.  I am so happy and realize that I absolutely need to come back and ride this one again - with a couple of my ride buddies from Monterey (Ellie and Ken).  This ride is so different from anything back home and I know they both would gain so much from riding this trail, too.


So busy avoiding rocks, I don't even notice the cliffs

 

As I start the last big climb out, my legs feel like lead and I am breathing pretty hard.  It appears the elevation is kicking my buttocks and I am ready to call it a day at mile eight.  DOG GONE!  I have just been passed by a jogger on this uphill slope - talk about demoralizing!  WHEW!  Nobody saw that!  I'm not telling. . .good grief.


Coming down a less rocky section

 

We get back to our hotel and I upload my strava (QOM) - no kidding!  How is that?  A closer look reveals I am the only female to strava this trail.  Where are all the girls up here?  Hmmm. . .gonna have to drag some gal pals along on my next trip up here.  We gotta represent here.  Definately a trail worth repeating. . .trying to get hubby to adjust trip (throw out Las Vegas and hit Truckee again for a second ride).  We'll see!




 

No comments:

Post a Comment